PSDS Code of Conduct
The Perth Swing Dance Society (PSDS) is dedicated to promoting swing dancing and culture throughout WA. At our events, everyone is there because they enjoy swing music, dance and culture! We welcome all people to dance events regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, race, or religion. The PSDS is committed to providing a safe scene for everyone to enjoy. All people engaging in PSDS events are required to act in accordance with our Code of Conduct to help ensure a safe and fun environment is created for everybody to enjoy.
WHAT IS NOT OKAY?
Any unwanted or unwelcome behaviour (sexual or otherwise) which makes a person feel offended, humiliated, or intimidated. Examples of harassment and bullying include but are not limited to:
- Inappropriate verbal comments, teasing, or putting down of others
- Intimidation or stalking
- Unwanted physical contact or unwanted sexual advances
- Posting unwanted, unauthorised or inappropriate material on social media, particularly when directed at or about an individual
- Any inappropriate, bullying or harassing text messages
- Behaviour that may be considered an offence under criminal law, such as physical assault, indecent exposure, sexual assault, stalking, or obscene communications.
WHAT IS OKAY? aka, how can I treat everyone respectfully?
Dancing is about fun, but also about consent. Communicate with your partner and ensure you are both feeling comfortable and safe.
- Be good people: do not use misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or racist language.
- Ask for verbal consent: “Would you like to dance?” “Would you like a drink?”
- Even if you’ve been given consent before, ask every time. Use your words.
- Respect the bodies and persons of other people: do not touch anyone without asking permission, do not touch anyone inappropriately, and stop if someone asks you to. Do not harass or pester someone who has already said no to a dance.
If someone lets you know, verbally or non-verbally, that they are feeling uncomfortable, address your behaviour, apologise sincerely, and make a change immediately.
HOW CAN I REPORT SOMETHING?
Do you feel like there has been a breach of our Code of Conduct? Tell us! If you are injured, feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or are experiencing or witnessing inappropriate behaviour, please let us know. We will take immediate action. We will handle any issue, big or small, with absolute seriousness and in the strictest confidence.
You can approach:
- A member of the Safety Team – Emily Clarke, Beth Weldon and Fiona Eicke
- Contact our “safe space” mobile number (0466 697 793)
- If you do not feel comfortable speaking to someone in person, you can email email@example.com
Violations of the Code of Conduct will result in a range of outcomes, from a conversation and reference to the Code of Conduct, to expulsion from our venues and events.
Repeated infringements of our Code of Conduct will not be tolerated.
If you need emergency assistance, crisis hotlines such as the below are also available to you.
- Lifeline Australia (13 11 14)
- Crisis Care (08 9223 1111)
- Sexual Assault Resource Centre 24 hour emergency line (1800 199 888)
Have fun, make friends. Be supportive and respectful of each other, and keep each other safe.
A copy of the Code of Conduct will be available at every event run by the PSDS, and can also be found on our website at www.perthswing.com.